Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Corset Project

Due to the fact that I do not have a lot of space to work... yet... I've decided to put off my lofty reaching projects like the Lovecraft and steampunk costumes until I have proper draping and drafting space to make them fantastic.

Instead I've decided to work on a corset for myself. I'm very short in almost every dimension. So, since no patterned corset fits me right, I'm going to make myself a kickass custom from the left over corset material I have. It'll be that awesome neovictorian look so that I can wear it on wilder days at work if I want. But, I'm going to keep the palette pretty pale. If you take a look at Victorian crazy quilting, stuff by Bonzie, and stuff like is pictured to the left, you'll get an idea of what I mean. Lots of surface embellishment, hand dying, painting, studs, patches, beading, all of it!

I'm basically taking all the skills I picked up doing the Tomb costume and the stuff I've learned during my research since school to pull together something cool enough for an Emilie Autumn concert but also for tea parties... and be worn with this purse... which I might have to make a copy of... because it is Alexander McQueen.

So it should turn out to be pretty awesome. As I find stuff to become a part of it, I'll update with pictures and such. First step will be to sew up the base in coutil and then dying. This time I'm going to for a french grey color so I'm thinking about using thinned out india ink to dye it... testing for colors soon to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...